Subscribe in a reader

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Distributed Marketing – Part I

Well I can't get this out of my head. After I posted the Monday list the idea of “distributed marketing” popped into my head, and I am unable to get it out. So even if this post makes no sense to you, its still helping my sanity!

So: If we set out to create the first distributed marketing program, what might it look like?

First I think about what makes the distributed computing model work, at least the model I mentioned that pertains to medical research. Here is what I think makes it tick:

a) Its is quick and easy to do

b) It is altruistic

c) It's cool technology

Now what exactly am I saying by “distributed marketing”? I am not talking about RSS or email newsletters which some refer to as such. Rather, I am thinking of a marketing program in which customers would volunteer some resource to promote said campaign. Many product and brands would have little or no shot to tap the altruistic vein, but some might.

Let's take an easy example, say Toyota and a new Hybrid model. How could they capitalize?

a) Quick & Easy: Create a small download that can be grabbed from a website or banner

b) Altruistic: The download would help work on global climate change calculations for a partner university

c) Cool Technology: Show interesting visualizations of the work; include a trivia game; co-brand the interface, e.g. “Harvard & Toyota”

Admittedly I cheated a bit here. A product that was not green would have to take a different and more imaginative approach. Also, I am really talking above about sponsoring/branding a distributed computing model. What about a tougher challenge? What about a pure marketing play?

I will post my thoughts tomorrow!


J

No comments: